6 reasons for belt conveyor belt damage and 4 ways to repair the belt
Belt conveyors have become more and more widely used due to their long-distance, large-volume, and continuous transportation characteristics, and have become the main means of material transportation. From the perspective of the use of belt conveyors, the investment of belts in the maintenance cost of belt conveyors accounts for about 80%. Therefore, strengthening the maintenance of conveyor belts, reducing the investment of belts, and extending the service life of belts has become an increase in belt conveyors. Conveyor operation efficiency is an important aspect of reducing maintenance costs.
Belt damage is an inevitable problem in the operation of belt conveyors. It is very important to repair damaged belts reasonably and reduce downtime. This article shares 6 reasons for belt conveyor belt damage and 4 ways to repair the belt.
Analysis of the Causes of Belt Damage on Belt Conveyor
In terms of the structure of the tape and the functions of its parts, the tape can be divided into two parts: the core (tensile layer), the upper and lower glue and the side glue (protective layer). The core of the tape is the skeleton, and its function is mainly to withstand tension. The more layers, the greater the ability to withstand tension. Side glue and surface glue are protective layers. Its functions are mainly anti-wear, anti-corrosion, prevent direct impact of materials, and play a role in buffering and protecting the core skeleton.
From the actual use, the main reasons for the damage of the tape are as follows:
(1) Each overlap point of the belt conveyor or each transfer point in the system loses its elasticity due to the drop or the tail buffer roller. When a large piece of coal or gangue falls from the top, it will form a greater impact and break the tape. The upper covering layer even breaks the belt core, forming holes. Especially when sharp objects, such as anchor rods, are contained in the material, it is easy to cut the tape and cause the tape to tear longitudinally.
(2) Due to the defect of the roller during the operation of the conveyor, the roller frame is easy to scratch the tape.
(3) When the conveyor belt passes through the roller, foreign matter is engulfed and the belt is damaged.
(4) Belt edge wear. Mainly due to the deviation of the tape, causing friction between the tape and the frame, resulting in brittle cracking of the tape. After the belt edge is worn, water penetrates from the damaged place, and the belt core gradually rots over time, and the steel rope core gradually corrodes and breaks.
(5) The tape joint is poor, the joint is uneven or uneven, causing the tape to break due to uneven force.
(6) If the tape tension is too large, it is easy to age and damage the tape in advance.
The importance of tape repair
Timely and effective repair of the tape can ensure the normal operation of the system and increase the service life of the belt conveyor components.
1. When the material is leaked and sprinkled at the damaged part, it will cause serious damage to the surface of the drum and the adhesive tape, which will cause the belt conveyor to deviate and seriously affect the operation of the equipment. 2. When there is no quick maintenance and management of the damage, when the damage is in contact with the cleaner, the cleaner will jam the breach, which will cause more serious damage to the tape or even the entire tape.
Repair method of belt conveyor belt
There are many reasons for tape damage, and corresponding measures should be taken to prevent different causes of damage. Especially when the tape is found to be damaged, it should be repaired in time to prevent the damage from expanding and causing the tape to break. According to the degree of tape damage, the commonly used tape repair methods are as follows:
Viscose cold patch
This method is suitable for the case where the protective layer of the tape is damaged, the area is not large, and the damage of the core layer is light. The specific steps are:
(1) Use a repair knife to cut and tear off the covering layer according to the damage area.
(2) Use a wooden file to polish the bonding surface to a certain roughness.
(3) Mix the colloid evenly, apply it evenly on the tape sanding area with a brush, and air dry for about 20 minutes.
(4) Cut the adhesive tape of the covering layer into the shape of the repaired place, place it on the adhesive position, and then beat it evenly with a wooden hammer until the adhesive is tight, and air dry for two hours.
Patch tape buckle repair
Wire rope core tape is often smashed out of the wire rope by materials. When repairing, you can use tape buckles along the length of the wire rope to repair (as shown in the figure below). Although the parts of the plate type tape buckle are small, they are very convenient in repairing the tape, which can well control the small damage of the tape and prevent the expansion of the tape damage.
Holes in the tape can be dug and patched. First, dig out a square from the damaged area, then cut a piece of tape of the same size to fill the hole and snap it around the square with tape buckles (as shown in the figure below). The patched tape piece can be cut on the old tape, but it must have the same specifications and dimensions as the tape used, and the direction of the warp and weft lines of the tape core must be consistent with the direction of the tape used.
Viscose hot patch
If the tape is partially torn, it needs to be repaired by adhesive hot repair method, that is, after the crack is treated, coated with raw glue, glued with the raw tape, and then under a certain pressure, temperature and a certain period of time, after a vulcanization reaction, the raw rubber is changed Vulcanized rubber is used to obtain the best adhesive strength at the cracks. The specific steps are:
(1) Foam. Use unleaded gasoline to evenly soak the raw tape special for hot-adhesive tape, which is like a thin rice soup.
(2) Surface treatment at the crack of the tape. On the upper and lower surfaces of the tape, peel off the 30mm wide surface rubber on the left and right sides of the crack along the length direction, and roughen the exposed canvas layer with a hand wheel to completely remove the remaining rubber.
(3) Apply glue. Use a small brush to evenly brush the soaked glue on the cracks in the tape and on the canvas layer, and put the rubber that has been cut according to the site size in the cracks and the parts where the rubber is removed.
(4) Heating. After the glue is applied, the heating work is carried out immediately. When heating, make the upper and lower heating sleeves tightly clamp the glued tape cracks, put the heating plate into the upper and lower heating sleeves in turn, and start heating after power on. When the temperature reaches about 148°C, stay for 2 to 3 minutes, disconnect the power supply, let the heater slowly cool to normal temperature (about two hours), remove the heater, and complete the bonding of a crack.
The final method of tape repair is to remake the tape joints. This method is suitable for tapes that are severely damaged and can no longer withstand the tension during operation. If they continue to operate, the tape may break. There are many ways to remake tape joints, mainly including mechanical buckle connection and vulcanization heat connection. When conditions permit, the vulcanization heat connection method should be used first. The vulcanized tape joints are of good quality and high tensile strength. However, the vulcanization method usually has more complicated procedures and longer use time. The vulcanization of the whole core tape is usually as shown in the figure below. According to a certain size, the tape head that needs to be connected is cut into a zigzag shape, and the contact surface of the zigzag is coated with vulcanized rubber, and the two tape heads are overlapped, and then overlapped. The upper and lower sides of the joint are covered with core rubber and surface rubber to form a whole after being heated and pressurized.
If the rubber surface and core skeleton of the tape are not seriously damaged, the tape can continue to be used; once the rubber surface of the tape wears more than 1/3 evenly, the core is exposed, and the remaining rubber surface has been blistered, wrinkled, or a section of tape If there are many serious damages that are difficult to repair, it can be considered that this (section) tape has reached the ideal service life.
In addition, in the production process, the various protection devices of the belt conveyor should be ensured intact, such as anti-tear protection device, coal pile protection device, broken belt slip protection device, automatic sprinkler, smoke protection, etc., which can effectively prevent tape damage and extend The service life of the tape.
Pre：Maintenance and troubleshooting of sand washing machine and treatment methods
Next：Precautions for vibrating feeder, and solutions to 6 common faults